fredag 2 april 2010

Framework/Engine news!

Hello everyone, I spoke (very shortly) about the new "Framework"
I've been busy working on in the last update, I feel like it's time to show how far along I've come. First thing first, the framework has turned into something much closer to a game-engine then a framework so from now on I will refer to it as a Engine. I made the engine from the ground-up, I use a mix of C and Obj-C to create all the classes that I need.

I got a lot of help from two really good friends, Tommy Vågbratt and Arvid Binder
Ekedahl, and if you guys ever read this, you should know that I'm really thankfull for everything you taught me :). The first
thing I made were a vector and a matrix class, they aren't fully optimized but they are good enough for me. I then carried on with creating a core for the engine, I made alot of small utility classes such as color and vertex classes. I then carried on creating a camera class, and some other neat things to be able to get the most out of Open-GL.

At first I used the same setup on rendering as in the example of Open-GL that Apple provides
(a NSTimer that calls a specified function in a specified
time interval). I had some major problems with that though, I could not get the rendering over 20-30 fps, even when I specified a higher rendering frequency. I also read alot about the way/when NSTimer calls the function specified by the coder and I don't believe that this is a safe way to go for a game-engine.

The way I handle, update/render right now is fairly simple. On startup a second thread is started that updates and renders all game
data. This means that I can choose if I want a locked interval of update/render calls or if I simply want to update/render as fast as the iPhone/iPod can.



If you look close at the screenshots you will notice that the newer
ones miss the debugtext, this is a issue that I bumped into when switching to a multithreaded approach. Apperantly all uiobjects, such as
UILabel, have to be updated in the main-thread. So that is on my todo-list.

Well that pretty much everything so-far!
Am I keeping somethings hidden/unexplained?
Of course I am! There will be plenty of updates on my new project/projects, just wait for it :)

Joakim Rosenstam

And yeah, if you have any questions/comments/ideas
toss me an email
(joakim.rosenstam@hotmail.com)
and I will answer as fast as possible!


Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar